Saturday, August 18, 2012

239. Come Thou, O My Friend, I Pray Thee

 1.  Come Thou, O my Friend, I pray Thee,
Take me from the world apart;
Let me at Thy feet, like Mary,
Give to Thee my mind and heart!
Quiet and tranquillity
Lead to union, Lord, with Thee.

2.  Blest is he to whom is given
From this noisy world to flee,
Who, with heart and mind in heaven,
With his own alone can be,
And here practice all that he
Hopes to do eternally.

3.  Palms will thrive beside a river:
We - when we draw near to God,
When in love we serve Him ever,
Him in prayer and worship laud.
What diversion never knows,
Christ in solitude bestows.

4.  When a lonely heart finds pleasure
Only in the things of heaven;
When it doth no creature treasure
And to God alone is given,
God to such will give true rest, -
Even trials will be blest.

5.  Perfect God, Thou once wast lonely
Ere the world was formed by Thee;
Blest is he who with Thee only
Lives in Thy eternity!
In Thy stillness me seclude,
Let me share Thy solitude!

No comments:

Post a Comment