Wednesday, October 27, 2010

37. Love, O Greatest Blessing Given

1. Love, O greatest blessing given
By the Spirit from above!
Had I tongue of men and angels
But withal I had not love,
I were but a tinkling cymbal,
Naught but lifeless, clanging brass,
For though fairest words were spoken,
Still my heart were dull and crass.

2. Holy Spirit, Thou wast given,
That my faith but Christ would seek;
Let my faith in love find fruitage,
Love, the treasure of the meek.
Love is patient, filled with goodness;
Love no envying doth know;
Love is humble and submissive;
Love the truth and light doth show.

3. Love is gentle and unselfish,
Love desireth not its own,
Love is not provoked to anger,
Love forgets the evil done.
Truth delights it – falsehood never;
Love is patient in distress;
It endures all things, and ever
Keeps its faith and hopefulness

No comments:

Post a Comment