Thursday, December 8, 2011

226. O Lift Up Mine Eyes, My Spirit

1. O lift up mine eyes, my spirit,
And behold this wonder great!
See thy God, the heavenly Ruler,
Crucified and desecrate!
Truly love Him!
His love drove Him
To become our Advocate.

2. Learn thou from this cross most truly
That thy Savior loved thee dear;
See His suff'ring and His sorrow
As His soul was filled with fear;
Curse lay on Him,
Pain upon Him,
Dire... need He suffered there.

3. There His soul, by God forsaken,
Unto death is sorrowful,
And His body, by pains shaken,
Heaped with scorn and ridicule;
Through the hours
Are His powers
Spent by sufferings pitiful.

4. This was wrought by my transgression:
Lord, these caused Thine anguish tense;
All Thy wrath and condemnation
Should have been my recompense,
My denial,
My sharp trial,
Hadst not Thou been my defense.

5. Thereby Thou hast conquered for us
All the power of death and hell;
Thy dear Father's counsel o'er us
And His will Thou didst fulfill;
And, dear Savior,
Life forever
By Thy death to us didst will.

6. In humility, dear Savior,
Know I, Thou for me hast died;
Thou I was Thy foe, Redeemer,
Thou for me wast crucified:
Silence keep I,
Humbly weep I!
Thus through Thee I'm justified!

7. Soul and body and Thy living,
All hast Thou, Lord giv'n for me!
Should I not to Thee be giving
All that I may have and be?
Thine, Lord holy,
I am solely -
I give all my heart to Thee!

8. Through the power of Thy dying,
Into Thy death, Lord, draw me;
Let my body, all my being,
There be nailéd, Lord, with Thee;
Gentle, stilly,
May my will be;
To my love give purity!

No comments:

Post a Comment