Wednesday, December 7, 2011

223. How Lovely Shines the Morning Star

1. How lovely shines the Morning Star
Now ris'n for us from heaven afar;
With grace and truth it gleameth!
O Thou Good Shepherd, David's Son,
My King up on Thy heavenly throne,
My heart Thee high esteemeth:
Kindly, friendly,
Fair and glorious,
Great, victorious,
Rich in graces,
Filling all the heavenly places!

2. Thou Jewel fair, without compare,
God's Son, none can Thy glory share,
By God the Father given!
My heart o'erflows in praise of Thee, -
Thy holy Gospel, pure and free,
Is light and life from heaven.
Thee, Thee, would I
Hold forever,
Leave Thee never;
Bread of heaven,
O what grace to me is given!

3. Upon this heart of mine bestow,
Thou Light of God and heavenly glow,
Thy flame of love undying!
O strengthen me, that e'er I'll be,
O Lord, a living branch in Thee,
Thy life my life supplying!
To Thee I flee;
My soul ever
Seeketh favor,
Since it findeth
Thee whose love me closely bindeth.

4. From God I have the light of grace,
Whene'er to me Thy holy face
Is turned in Thy good pleasure.
O Lord, Thy Spirit and Thy Word,
Thy body and Thy blood afford
My soul its dearest treasure.
So I now cry:
Look with favor
On me, Savior,
Thou wilt cheer me!
Thy Word calls, so I draw near Thee.

5. Lord, God, my Father, mighty Shield,
Thou hast Thy love in Christ revealed,
Before this world's foundation.
Thy Son is now betrothed to me,
My heart its joy in Him doth see
And bows in adoration.
What bliss is this!
He that liveth
To me giveth
Life forever,
Where I praise His Name forever.

6. Lift up the voice and joyful sing,
Let all glad sounds of music ring
In God's high praises blended.
Christ shall be with me all the way,
Today, tomorrow, every day,
Till traveling days are ended.
Sing out, ring out
Triumph glorious,
All victorious,
Bow before Him,
King of kings, let all adore Him!

7. O joy to know, that Thou, the Word,
Beginning without end, art Lord,
The First and Last, Eternal!
And Thou at length - O Glorious Grace! -
Wilt take me to that holy place,
The home of joys supernal.
Amen, Amen!
Come and meet me,
Quickly greet me!
With deep yearning,
Lord, I look for Thy returning!

No comments:

Post a Comment