Saturday, February 19, 2011

178. O Jesus, Light and Treasure

1. O Jesus, Light and Treasure,
Before Thee darkness flees;
O Jesus, Thou my Pleasure,
Who makest woes to cease;
Within my heart is sounding
Each day the silvery tone
Of Thy deep love abounding
For me, O God’s own Son!

2. A fervent, heavenly feeling
Doth often fill my breast,
As thou this truth revealing:
“Here is thy goal, thy rest!”
Though nothing were remaining,
I would, with happy heart,
Lord, for Thy love sustaining,
With everything here part.

3. To gain this noble treasure,
This precious pearl, I would
Give honor, wealth, and pleasure,
And every earthly good;
I gladly would surrender
All that earth would afford
To hide His love so tender,
Or rob me of my Lord.

4. O know no life divided,
O Lord of Life, from Thee;
True life Thou hast provided,
Thou art life’s Source for me.
Nor more can death annoy me,
Since, Lord, in Thee I live;
No sin can now destroy me,
For Thou didst all forgive.

5. I fear no tribulation,
Since trial nor distress
Can cause our separation,
O Fount of Blessedness.
Lord, if I have Thee only,
What matter anything?
I am, though poor and lonely,
Far richer than a king.

6. If, while on earth I wander,
I am a blesséd one,
What shall it be, when yonder
All weaknesses are gone?
This makes of death a blessing
That I, by grace alone,
Shall heaven be possessing
And an eternal crown! –

7. Lord, with this truth impress me;
O write it on my heart,
To comfort and to bless me:
That Thou my Savior art.
Were not Thy love so near me,
I should be wholly lost,
Without this hope to cheer me,
On life’s wild ocean tossed.

8. I know Thy grace has sought me,
And so I joy in Thee;
Thy love to harbor brought me,
Where I am blest and free.
Amid all fear securely
On Thee I rest my heart;
Because I know it surely,
That Thou my Savior art!

No comments:

Post a Comment