Saturday, February 19, 2011

189. Jesus, Head and Ruler Solely

1. Jesus, Head and Ruler solely
Of Thy congregation holy,
Bless Thou me, a member poor!
Thy good Spirit’s power by giving,
That to Thee I may be living;
By thy strength make me secure!

2. With Thy grace and power bless Thou
Every member! O impress Thou
On them all Thy Spirit now!
Scattered though their habitations
Be among so many nations,
Thus, O Lord, dost each one know.

3. How I love Thine own, O Savior,
Those who seek and serve Thee ever,
Precious are they all to me!
Thou dost know how it doth cheer me
When I see and have those near me
Who now live alone to Thee!

4. Those who serve Thee all delight me,
And with them I here unite me;
From Thy holy presence bright
Over Zion blessings shower;
For Thy ways, O give them power,
Lead them onward in Thy light.

5. From the world Thine own deliver
And let Satan soon forever
Wholly ‘neath their feet be trod!
By Thy Spirit in them dwelling,
Earthly lust and nature quelling,
Be their only joy, O God!

6. Those in pain and sorrow living
Strengthen, that they may be giving
Life and soul into Thy hand!
Teach them more and more true meekness.
Cleanse them, Lord, from every weakness,
Till in Thee alone they stand!

7. Let Thy children, while here stationed,
After Thine own heart be fashioned,
Beautiful for piety:
Quiet, set apart, and lowly,
Upright, as Thy will most holy, -
And as Thou wouldst have them be!

8. Look on those with special favor
Who desire of me, O Savior,
That for them my prayers arise!
To Thy mercy I commend them,
And I pray such blessing send them
As is needful in Thine eyes!

9. Visit in the hour of sadness
All their hearts; may they find gladness,
In the end, alone in Thee!
Draw with Thy love’s fullest measure
All their longing and their pleasure
Into Thine own unity!

10. Ah, how dearly Thou hast bought us,
By Thy cross salvation brought us,
Thanks to Thee that Thine we are!
Hold us fast, while here we tarry
In this earthly desert dreary, -
O forsake us nevermore!

11. Till at length, in holy union,
We shall join the saints’ communion,
And, from every blemish free,
At Thy throne Thy glory telling,
We in Thee - Thou in us dwelling,
We shall all be one in Thee!

No comments:

Post a Comment