Tuesday, February 22, 2011

205. Lord, I Would Be Thine Forever

1. Lord, I would be Thine forever,
Always in Thy service stay;
Naught shall part me for Thee ever,
I would walk upon Thy way.
Thou, the life within me growing,
Light and vigor dost provide,
Like a vine whose strength is flowing
To the branches at its side.

2. Lord, how could I have it better
Than with Thee to run life's race,
Who hast made of me a debtor
By Thy countless gifts of grace?
Where could more content be given
Than, Lord Jesus Christ, with Thee,
Unto whom in earth and heaven
Power belongs and majesty?

3. Where is there a Lord so gracious,
Who would do as Thou hast done;
Who with Thine own blood so precious
For my sins didst once atone?
Ought I not be faithful to Him,
Who for me His life thus gave,
In deep love give honor due Him,
And be true till death and grave?

4. Yea, Lord Jesus, Thine forever,
Both in joy and grief, I'll be;
Nothing shall our union sever,
Now and in eternity.
Lord, on Thee I am relying
For my summons to depart;
He is well prepared for dying
Who here gave to Thee his heart.

5. On this pilgrimage be near me!
O abide when my day ends;
When its evening closes o'er me,
As the night on me descends!
Then, upon my head extending
Thine own hands, a blessing give,
Saying, "Child, thy day is ending;
Who believes here, there shall live!"

6. With Thee at my side, I boldly
Shall meet death when it draws near -
Like the wind that blows so coldly
Ere the rays of dawn appear.
When the darkness me would cover,
Let Thy light dispel the gloom,
That I joyful may pass over, -
As one who is going home!

No comments:

Post a Comment