Saturday, February 19, 2011

184. Thou Lamb Once Slain

1. Thou Lamb, once slain, the guarded seals hast broken
For my salvation and my comfort too;
My faith sends Thee, on Zion’s mount, a token
Of love, a longing look devout and true!
Thou art the Lamb, now throned on high,
What wonder that to Thee my spirit fain would fly!

2. Thou hast o’er-come all foes that here surround me,
So I have all the conquering power I need!
From all the bands of death Thou hast unbound me,
I know whereto my pilgrim pathways lead. -
Thou after cross Thy joys didst see, -
Shall not the member with the Head united be?

3. Thou precious Lamb, what promise hast Thou spoken!
O words eternal and most truly said: -
“No lamb shall ever from My hand be taken,
Nor shall be harmed a hair upon its head!”
O Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
With all Thy loved ones let me hide myself in Thee!

4. Yet more: “And I, when I shall be uplifted
Above the earth, shall draw all men to Me!”
O blessed word! Let care and pain be lifted
From off my heart, as I flee unto Thee.
O draw me by Thy love so sweet,
As I to other men leave all vain self-deceit.

5. O Lamb of God, Thou into death wast given
For all my sins, a curse upon the tree!
What mind can fathom this great love from heaven?
Who is there that can be compared to Thee?
As long as life in me is stayed,
So long shall life and treasure at Thy feet be laid!

6. But can I do this, mine own strength supplying?
Perchance it is too great a claim for me?
Yes, were I on my helpless state relying,
I would not dare to speak so ardently;
But now my faith holds fast anew
To the Omnipotence that mighty things can do.


7. O precious Lamb, Thou, Thou hast well provided
Thy people with the will to heed Thy call!
The issue thus is easily decided:
I, I am naught, but Thou art All in all!
O Constancy, make Thou me true;
O Love, love me, that I may truly love Thee too!

8. To Thee must be ascribed my whole salvation,
Thou hast done all, my Savior and my Lord!
Thy merit only is my consolation;
I take unmerited Thy great reward.
This truth eternal shall not fall:
The Lamb, once slain, shall ever be my All in all!

No comments:

Post a Comment