Monday, November 1, 2010

43. Baptized, O Lord, in Thee

1. Baptized, O Lord, in Thee;
I have received Thy favor!
What does this mean for me?
To live for Thee, my Savior!
That is its holy aim,
And where this is ignored,
There can be no true claim
Of oneness with the Lord

2. Baptized, I, Lord, with Thee
Was buried and am risen,
How could I further be
In sin’s enslaving prison?
Thou, Lord, didst die for me,
Didst rise that Glorious Day;
My life, oh, may it be
An holy life alway!

3. Baptized am I; in me
The old mind should be dying;
In need I fly to Thee,
My God, on Thee relying;
Life’s center Thou shalt be,
So aid me, Lord, in this:
That men in me may see
What Thy baptism is.

4. Baptized am I in Thy
Atoning death and passion,
That of its blessings I
Might come in full possession.
Thou didst my heart sustain
Thee only to esteem,
In gladness and in pain.

5. Baptized am I; now may
This truth the whole world ponder.
I live no more as they
Who in deep darkness wander;
Baptism urges me
That I by constant prayer
Resist the enemy
With power, everywhere.

6. Baptized am I; now shall
No wayward thought of erring
Cast o’er my heart a spell,
My soul to evil snaring.
For what may tempt my heart,
And ev’ry sinful pride,
Upon Thy cross, O Lord,
Shall hence be crucified.

7. Now grant to me Thy pow’r
So that I may not waver,
And bless me every hour,
O my beloved Savior!
Thus shall I safely fare
Upon this blesséd way,
And reach the city where
Thy peace shall reach for aye.

No comments:

Post a Comment