Monday, November 1, 2010

45. Lord Jesus, Look On Me

1. Lord Jesus, look on me,
And help me be victorious!
My heart feels naught but death;
My spirit fails, inglorious;
I will to do the right
But fail each day anew,
Because my feeble soul
Hath not the power to do.

2. Sin hath entangled me,
In chains of death I languish;
Wherever I may turn
Naught stilleth my heart’s anguish.
I, who have been so proud,
Am humbled to the dust;
The things I prized so much
Have crumbled into rust.

3. My soul doth yearn for rest;
I seek, but fail to find it
Naught can my heart release,
Or from sin’s chain unbind it.
The Law to me reveals
The volume of my sin,
But fails to give me power
A new life to begin.

4. Thou, Jesus, only Thou,
Canst turn away my weeping;
Now strength have I to do,
Save what is in thy keeping.
Dost thou not give me grace
The heavenly way to go,
The longings of my heart
Will but more pain bestow.

5. Have mercy then, O Lord;
I bow in true submission;
To me Thy grace impart;
Behold my deep contrition!
I pray, I leave Thee not,
Till I Thy favor win;
I break death’s pow’r in me,
Give me new life within.

6. Thy promise standeth sure,
That Thou wouldst truly cheer me,
If my perverted mind
Will learn but to revere Thee,
If it will lay aside
All earthly vanity,
So that Thy love and grace
May hold its sway on me.

7. So take my pledge, O Lord,
Too long in sin I’ve bided;
I’d live henceforth for Thee,
By Thee, my Savior, guided!
O do Thou hold me fast,
From sin, O make me free –
So that henceforth my heart
Thy temple pure may be!

No comments:

Post a Comment