Wednesday, November 17, 2010

90. Mid Life’s Anguish I Am Not Complaining

1. Mid life’s anguish I am not complaining;
Here no crown of honor I’ll be gaining,
Where my Lord a thorny crown has worn.
I will here not seek a path of roses
Where Thou, Lord, in whom my hope reposes,
On the cross the guilt of sin hast borne.

2. Guide me, Lord, upon the path to glory,
With the true and blessed Gospel story;
May Thy Spirit lead me day by day.
Give a heart that willingly will follow
Where the course is difficult and narrow,
On the road where Thou hast led the way.

3. Make me, Lord, to be more faithful ever,
And the fruit of faith, that holy fervor,
Of unfeignéd love, O grant to me.
Lacking love I have no hope of winning;
Love alone can bring to love’s beginning;
Only love brings through the world to Thee.

4. Friendly is the call which Thou hast given,
Dearest Lord! Yet many steps to heaven
Still remain which I must needs ascend.
Therefore, look upon Thy servant humble;
O sustain his going lest he stumble;
Still Thy helping hand to him extend.

5. Let enlightened eyes to me be given
That by hope I here foresee Thy heaven,
When from toil and strife no rest I find.
In this vale of anguish and affliction,
Give me constant peace and pure affection
And trustful, happy, heav’nly mind.

6. Yea, upon this earth I am a stranger,
Often burdened and exposed to danger,
Just a pilgrim needy and unknown!
Lord, the cross remains my journey’s token
Till I hear Thy “Well done” to me spoken,
And at lasts I reach that heav’nly home.

No comments:

Post a Comment