Wednesday, November 10, 2010

53. O Jerusalem, the Golden

1. O Jerusalem, the golden,
Where God’s praises ever ring!
Heavenly choirs to God beholden,
“Holy, holy, holy!” sing!
Ah! When will He grant to me
Evermore to dwell in thee!

2. Ere our sufferings are abating
In these times of trials severe,
While as pilgrims we are waiting
We must bear our crosses here!
But the Lord in every hour
Gives all grace and needed power.

3. Ah, how much I long to meet Thee,
Jesus, Friend through all the years!
There where Salem’s bowers greet me,
Where there are no sighs, nor tears;
Where in glory, light and grace,
We shall see God face to face!

4. Come, and lead us full of gladness,
Gentle Shepherd, by the hand,
After all this pain and sadness,
Into that true fatherland;
Where the living waters free,
Quench our thirst eternally.

5. O, that long desired dominion,
Full of bliss and fair delight!
Would that I, on soaring pinion,
Might arise from this world’s night
To that newly built abode,
Whose bright orb of day is God.

6. But if I must longer tarry
On this sea so wild and drear,
Where the stormy billows harry
The frail bark I scarce can steer;
Thought the cross and death I see,
Still let hope my anchor be.

7. Then I’ll have no fear of sinking,
Be the ocean ere so wild,
I shall see Thy beacon winking,
From the shore with radiance mild.
Thou, by its most welcome ray,
Into port will show the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment