Tuesday, November 16, 2010

89. To Christ on Golgatha

1. To Christ on Golgatha,
My spirit fain would go
To ponder on His words
And His exceeding woe.

2. What pain unspeakable
In this great cry we see:
“My God, My God, oh, why
Hast Thou forsaken Me?”

3. No vengeance in His heart,
I hear Him plead anew,
“Dear Father, pray, forgive;
They know not what they do!”

4. His mother weepeth sore,
He comforteth her now:
“Behold in John thy son.”
“O John, thy mother know.”

5. He comforteth the thief,
And “Verily,” He cries,
“Thou shalt with Me today
Be in yon paradise.”

6. “I thirst!” He crieth then;
There’s no affliction thus,
Which He, the friend of man,
Has not endured for us.

7. He “It is finished!” cries,
And bows His head, - The end:
“O Father, to Thy hands
My spirit I commend.”

No comments:

Post a Comment