Monday, November 15, 2010

84. My Thoughts Are Ever Turning

1. My thoughts are ever turning
To my celestial home;
For it my love is burning
Though still afar I roam.
‘Tis there my soul is dwelling,
My wealth is with the Lord,
And from my heart is welling
A longing heavenward.

2. Earth and vain things, you bitter
Plagues of the soul, begone!
From far you seem to glitter,
But who by you is won,
For gems has empty baubles,
For pearls the sand of care;
Your wine is full of troubles
And poison taints your fare.

3. What leads to heaven I treasure
And not what draws to earth;
The world, its sinful pleasure,
And all it holds of worth
I shun; what far outclasses
All these, I seek on high;
To know that life surpasses
Earth’s wisdom and earth’s joy.

4. Then rise, my soul, with gladness
Although the way be hard.
Through danger, scorn, and sadness,
Up! ever heavenward!
To others leave earth’s pleasures
And all this world’s allure,
Thou claim the noble treasures
Eternal and secure!

No comments:

Post a Comment