Friday, November 12, 2010

66. O Teach Me, Lord, to Cease Complaining

1. O teach me, Lord, to cease complaining,
No more to wish my burdens gone;
But rather, by Thy power sustaining,
To bear the cross as Thou hast done.
The art of keeping silence, teach me;
Give me a calm contented heart;
Make me like Thee, Lord, I beseech Thee,
And turn in love my bitter smart.

2. Thou know’st how lightly I forget Thee,
Though from myself the truth I hide;
How soon self-will and pride beset me
When carefree days no cross provide.
From self-reliance to reclaim me,
And to reveal my heart withal,
Thou oft must send a cross to shame me,
To banish pride and keep me small.

3. Thou know’st how, by life’s turmoil shaken,
I backslid oft in former days,
How oft false feelings were mistaken
For forward steps upon Thy ways.
And then to show how self had won me,
That I was far from Thee, and slack,
Another cross was laid upon me,
On thorny ways to lead me back.

4. Thou knowest oft I come before Thee,
Unworthily, to be approved;
With empty phrases to implore Thee,
By a mere sense of duty moved.
Shall I in prayer receive a blessing,
As I approach the throne of grace,
Some kind of cross my heart oppressing
Serves best to help me find Thy face.

5. O God, All-seeing and All-knowing,
With whom there is no mystery,
To whom my thoughts in secret growing
Are known in their entirety,
May keeping Thy commands forever
Be first and foremost in my life,
In Thy seclusion take me ever
That I may conquer in the strife.

6. With Thee apart, I cease repining,
My earthly wishes take to flight,
My erstwhile cares begin declining,
My yoke is eased, my cross made light.
Ah, there no ills can crush my spirit,
For in my pain and sore distress
Thy never-failing grace will cheer it
And change my cross to blessedness.

7. No more of murmuring and crying;
Thanksgiving only mine shall be;
Though crosses sore on me are lying,
I find Thy love revealed to me!
Though first Thy way may seem oppressing,
Soon they true joy and peace accord,
And all at last will prove a blessing
For those who love Thee, gracious Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment