Tuesday, January 25, 2011

149. Can It Be a Pleasure

1. Can it be a pleasure
To be human born?
Can life be a treasure
For me any morn?
When there’s so much sinning,
Anguish, need and fear,
From our life’s beginning
Until death draws near?

2. Nothing here could cheer us,
If no Christ there were:
He brought heaven near us
When He did appear.
Whosoe’er confess Him
As their God and Lord,
Ne’er should aught distress them;
Peace is their reward!

3. Could for love be weeping,
O Thou Son of Man;
Safe within Thy keeping
By Thy love’s great plan;
Thou my heart hast movéd,
Thine it e’er shall be;
Thou lead’st me, Belovéd,
That I still have Thee!

4. Many a blesséd hour
I have oft with Thee;
I feel Thy great power
When depressed I be;
Hast me much forgiven,
In Thy mercy mild,
New grace sent from heaven
For this slothful child.

5. Is it not a pleasure
Here Christ’s own to be!
Pilgrims, try this treasure!
Dare Christ’s own to be!
Knew men but the blessing
Jesus can afford,
Many, faith confessing,
Would accept the Lord.

6. Though the Christian’s gladness
Mingled is with pain,
Yet his eyes mid sadness,
Look to heaven’s gain;
And the Lord looks downward
On him, that he may
Joyfully press onward
On his pilgrim way.

7. Christ at length is coming;
Shall with gentle hand
Lead us from our roaming
Home to fatherland.
When the strife is over,
Of, then we shall be
Where the Hallelujah
Rings eternally!

No comments:

Post a Comment