Tuesday, January 25, 2011

164. Dear Jesus, Would That I Could Be

1. Dear Jesus, would that I could be
In all things minded like to Thee!
Grant, Savior, that I walk aright
As child and servant in Thy sight!

2. Thy life shows what my life should be, -
A mirror Thou and light to me;
But O how far I am away
From Thy true image day by day!

3. How firm Thy trust and how sincere,
That Thee Thy loving Father here
Would not forsake; oh, grant to me
Such steadfast faith to trust in Thee!

4. In watchfulness on lonely heights,
Thou oft, O Lord, didst spend Thy nights;
Thou always wast in fervent prayer;
Oh, that I too Thy zeal might share!

5. With mankind, straying, poor, and ill,
In loving-kindness Thou didst deal;
O that such friendliness divine,
Such helpfulness were also mine!

6. In suffering, a lamb most mild,
Thou didst not chide when foes reviled;
But when God’s honor was at stake,
What earnestness Thy zeal could take!

7. Give me a heart that knows no fear;
Grant zeal then it is needful here;
But let me act with modesty,
Wisely, O Lord, and prudently.

8. Thy first disciples followed Thee
In trials and adversity;
But now above, on Zion’s hill,
Before Thy throne with joy they dwell.

9. Help, Jesus, me Thy child sincere
To find the way to heaven here,
And after present suffering,
Eternally Thy praise to sing!

No comments:

Post a Comment