Tuesday, January 25, 2011

157. As the Hart For Water Panteth

1. As the hart for water panteth,
So my soul, Lord, thirsts for Thee.
O my God! What pleasure granteth,
Thou alone canst give to me.
With Thee are the waters living,
Unto Thee my soul is striving.
Oh, when shall I there in light
See Thy face with mercy bright?

2. How my soul now longs with yearning
For sweet union, Lord, with Thee;
Tears upon my cheeks are burning,
And my cries have wearied me.
Day and night I here must suffer,
For the foe this taunt doth offer, -
Daily thus my soul doth prod:
“Where, O where is now thy God!”

3. Ah, how anxious and how fearful,
Is this heart of mine again;
“O my God,” I cry out, tearful,
“How long must I bear this pain?
Come and take me, Lord, and guide me
From the darkness where I hide me,
From the depths of inner night
To the glories of Thy light!”

4. Oh, I would my way be wending
To Thy courts with thanks and praise,
Would Thy faithful join in sending
Songs unto Thy throne always;
When Thy people’s choirs adore Thee,
Singing thanks and praise and glory,
And Thy blessing, light, and might
Fills their hearts with pure delight.

5. Yet this comfort sorrow lendeth:
In the dark, I trust my God,
For my good He but intendeth,
Gratefully His help I’ll laud.
When o’er me the floods are passing
And the roaring waves are lashing,
This I know: The Lord is light,
He will help me by His might.

6. Goodness hath He promised ever,
He my faithful, mighty Lord;
Naught from Him my heart will sever,
He upholds me by His Word.
Though some sorrow oft may prove me,
Yet I know that God doth love me;
Of my life He is the Strength,
Who will help and save at length.

2 comments:

  1. This is one of my favourite hymns from when I was growing up in the Rittman congregation. I am now a retired church musician, who still sings and teaches almost every day, especially on Sundays, at Holy Trinity Anglican Church, where my wife works as the music director.

    http://www.hymnary.org/person/Lavater_JC2

    It seems to me that the words must have been written by Johann Caspar Lavater (1741-1801) and then translated by R. Massie, in the British Herald, March 1865, p. 40. I don't know where the tune may have come from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does anyone know if the text of this song is in the Public Domain, or is it under copyright?

    ReplyDelete