Tuesday, January 25, 2011

151. Why Should Crosses Ever Grieve Me

1. Why should crosses ever grieve me;
Christ is near,
What can here
E’er of him deprive me?
Who can rob me of the heaven
That God’s Son
For mine own
To my faith hath given?

2. Weak was I and empty-handed
When on earth
At my birth
My first breath was granted;
Helpless, too, when death o’ertakes me,
Shall I go
From life’s woe, -
When my breath forsakes me.

3. Wealth nor health, soul, body, living, -
Are my own,
God alone
All to me is giving.
Must I then His own restore Him,
Though bereft
Of each gift,
Still shall I adore Him.

4. What is all this life possesses, -
But a hand
Full of sand
That the heart distresses.
Nobler gifts that pall me never
Christ, my Lord,
Will accord
There to me forever.

5. Lord, Thou Fount of all true pleasure!
I am Thine,
Thou art mine;
E’er will I Thee treasure.
I am Thine, for Thou hast bought me;
Lost I stood
But Thy blood
Free salvation brought me.

6. Thou art mine, I love and own Thee,
Light of Joy,
e’er shall I
In my heart enthrone Thee.
Savior, let me soon behold Thee
Face to face, -
May Thy grace
Evermore enfold me!

No comments:

Post a Comment